One Love

One Love
"We need to move beyond the idea of 'environment' and fall back in love with Mother Earth." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Vegan...mostly

I want to be honest here, I am not sure if the vegan lifestyle is for me. I have not exactly been 100% faithful, although I try.

The vegan chocolate bar I was noshing on last night!

Almost a year ago, I decided to only eat meat and eggs if it was local and I knew where it came from. Local meat is expensive, so I ate less and less. One day, I splurged and bought an $18 steak. The smell of meat cooking has always made me nauseous, this day was no different. I ignored the smell and sat down to cut into the juicy steak. I couldn't eat it. I could taste the iron and feel the muscle fibers as I was chewing. That day sealed the deal and I stopped eating meat.

A serving of four raw shiitake mushrooms has only 26 calories and less than a gram of fat. They also provide 2 grams of dietary fiber, helping to keep you feeling full and satisfied, and nearly 2 grams of protein. -Maia Appleby

I have been trying very hard to cut out animal products all together. I do feel healthier and have been losing weight without additional exercise. However, I have been thinking about several things. I personally know several dairy farmers who love their cows and treat them with the utmost respect. They live in clean and healthy environments and are treated like pets. What would happen if cows were suddenly released to the wild? Roam the streets, hungry and sick? Do I agree with large scale agriculture, no. What I do believe in is small farmers and revolutionizing our food system.

Speaking at Crystal Bridges Museum at CR(EAT)E about local food.
I used to have chickens, that I loved and they all had names. Red, one of my favorite hens, would wait outside the back door and follow me around "helping" wit chores (eating spilled grain). Sometimes she would lay down until I picked her up and would sit on my shoulder. Without a rooster, the eggs hens lay are wasted. Why should the unfertilized eggs not be utilized as a food source for humans or other animals? In the fall, chickens molt. What this means is that they start losing feathers and regrow long ones. They also stop laying eggs so they can conserve energy to regrow feathers. When I had my chickens, molting time was just a time that I didn't eat eggs.


There is a season for everything, a season for tomatoes, squash, eggs, blackberries and mint tea. Personally, I believe in finding a balance, in taking care of myself as well as animals and the environment. If one becomes more important then the other, then both are being damaged. So do I want to label myself as a vegan? No, labels suck anyway :) I do want to eat consciously, with respect to how my food was grown, what season we are in and how my body feels.

Keema says there is also a time for pumpkin hats and toys!

4 comments:

  1. I've tried to go vegan twice now (at Lent both times), and failed. I have realized I am just not a vegan, and will never be, largely because eggs and cheese are essential to my satisfaction with life. I could happily give up refined sugar for the rest of my life and not even miss it, but I would miss cheese desperately. I think you're right. Labels do suck. I am kind of on a long slow slide into true lacto-ovo-vegetarianism, I think, but for now, I'm a "less meatarian" who only eats sustainably raised meats, and not very much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for finding out what is right for YOUR body!! I am still tweaking and adjusting my diet :)

      Delete
  2. I think you're definitely going on a journey to discover what diet lifestyle works best for you and I must say...I've been there! And I'm still going through it all the time. I, too, try to focus on eating as locally as possible and eat as many meats/eggs/dairy as I can from reputable and respectable sources where I know the animals were treated humanely. It's a good thing my dad is a hunter because I don't know what I'd do without venison as a regular in our household...haha. I will always eat meat and I'm not afraid to say that I do enjoy it. I can tell my body works better when eating meat regularly as well. Although I also try to eat fish as often as possible in place of meat.

    I respect the animals for the food they have given me, but in my eyes, we are further up on the food chain for a reason. I (and everyone else) can still respect animals and enjoy them for what they give us at the same time. :) I'm enjoying your blog posts, Nicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is certainly a journey Kaylin! I think all bodies and people need different things, it's about finding what works best for you. My brother probably couldn't sustain on a diet without animal products. I appreciate the discussion that different diets and lifestyles bring about. I love having intelligent discussions with people that have different viewpoints, we can all learn and grow together.

      Delete