One Love

One Love
"We need to move beyond the idea of 'environment' and fall back in love with Mother Earth." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Monday, October 13, 2014

Wheatgrass Express

One of my favorite things about Northwest Arkansas is the entrepreneurial spirit that encompasses the region. I recently visited a new business in Springdale called Wheatgrass Express. When I called to ask for directions, Ross, one of the owners, told me to look for the red truck with wheatgrass all over it.


Wheatgrass Express is the one stop shop in NWA for seeds, sprouts and growing equipment. At the front of the building, there is a small retail store that offers various types of high quality, organic seeds; equipment to grow sprouts and wheatgrass; and a reasonably priced hand juicer.



Wheatgrass Express is a husband and wife team that sells their wheatgrass and sprouts to area restaurants and juice bars. My first experience with a wheatgrass shot was at Inta Juice in Fayetteville. Ross said that they saw a need for sprouts and wheatgrass in the region and decided to fill that gap.


The growing facility is very clean, bright and open. The grass and sprouts are grown on trays and are carefully managed. There is a system in place for making the grass grow at an even height. Wheatgrass Express does custom orders for various restaurants and juice bars throughout the region.


I must admit that my favorite part of the tour was when Ross pulled out some cups and asked if I wanted to try a fresh wheatgrass shot!


The shot was bright green, smooth and had a sweet after taste. Two of the health benefits that I like are the shots stimulate the thyroid gland and increase energy levels. You can read about all of the health benefits on the Wheatgrass Express website.


Ross was such a great host and sent me home with a couple of bags of sprouts to try. I couldn't resist and started to munch on the sunflower sprouts on the way home, pretty delicious! I have been using the sprouts on wraps and toppings for various dishes such as chili and stir fry, they add a nice crunch.


Don't be afraid to try a green shot of wheatgrass packed full of antioxidants, you may end up craving the shots like I do.

You can also find Wheatgrass Express on Facebook. Let me know if you have any experience with wheatgrass shots or how you use sprouts in cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment